Thursday, December 22, 2011

Active Birth and Confessions

A new book I have just started reading is "Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally" by Janet Balaskas. I have only made it through the Preface and Introduction and all I have to say at this point is this:

I did not taken resposibility for my own pregnancy and birth with my son. I relied on "experts" to tell me what to do and where I "should be". I have been fooling myself into thinking that I was so enlighted and educated on the subject of birth but reality was that I watched "The Business of Being Born", read "Baby Catchers" and called myself well informed. What a joke!

Not this time. I have decided to get my hands on as many materials as I can over the next 5 months and practice what I read in preparation of this child's birth. I want to know the best ways to give birth, the practices and procedures of midwives, the risk and rates, and anything else I can.

I have also been reading Heart & Hands by Elizabeth Davis and have already learned so much about what a midwife should do and be looking for in the various stages of labor and has also given me a better idea of what to be looking for and preparing my mind and body for.

I am not trying to be too hard of myself but I do want to be honest and take at least some resposibility for not being actively involved in my birth. If I had only known then what I am starting to know now...

No comments:

Post a Comment