Thursday, April 19, 2012

Birth Plan

Now that I am getting a little further in my pregnancy I decided I wanted to write down some things that I would like to have as part of my birth plan. I know that birth cannot be "planned" but I also know from experience that not having a plan doesn't always work out either.

These are in no particular order:
  • Leave my husband sleeping or undisturbed for as long as I can help it (this is because I think that once you have attention on you, you are more likely to "perform")
  • Call my midwife and doula once I start having active contractions but advise them not to hurry unless I feel I need them sooner. (this is because once my midwife arrived last time I felt pressure and less at ease)
  • Call my sister early so she has plenty of time to prepare for childcare
  • Refuse having my water broken unless medically necessary
  • Avoid exams unless medically necessary (obviously for lower risk of infection in the case of my water being broken, but also so I do not focus on how far I have come or have to go)
  • Stay active as long as possible throughout early labor unless at night
  • Take regular outside moment (as this allows your mind to remember that life still goes one as normal for the rest of the world. I do this when I watch tense movies like "I AM Legend", as well. LOL)
  • Take moment to focus on my unborn baby as this process is not just happening to me but to him as well.
  • When the pain gets to much to handle, turn all my focus on Jesus and what he endured for me on the cross.
  • I do NOT consent to erythromycin or other medication in baby’s eyes
  • I will decide after birth whether to administer vitamin K
  • The umbilical cord should remain unclamped and uncut until pulsing stops or is medically necessary.
I might add more as time goes by.

No comments:

Post a Comment