Saturday, January 7, 2012

Anterior Cervical Lip - Beware

So this is what happen to me during my first birth. If I knew what I know now I would not have ended up with a c-section, I am sure of it.

I had an anterior cervical lip at 9 1/2 cm (see first two pictures below). My midwife told me to push and the baby's head would most likely move it out of the way. This did not happen but instead my cervix swell, I couldn't stop pushing, and we transferred to the hospital.

What should have happen is that my midwife should have instructed me to get into the knee chest position and hold there for a few contractions until the lip dilated (see last picture). According to Janet Balaskas in Active Birth this would usually happen is just a few contractions. This position would also have been helpful to assist me in stopping pushing as the baby's head is pulled away from your cervix causing less pressure.

Sorry to say, this just makes me so frustrated.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,
    I know how frustrating it can be looking back on your labor and think "I should have done this". I had the exact same dilemma with the birth of my son. I too was at 9.5 cm with an OP 10lb baby and was stuck here with the dreaded cervical lip. My midwife had me try multiple positions including the chin to knee as well as squatting while she tried to push the lip over his head. 36 hours of labor at home ended in a transfer with a section after 8 more hours of pushing. I just want you to know that I totally understand your disappointment (I guess thats a good description?) and know that you did everything right!!! Thanks for sharing. It really does help to know there are other women with the same experiences. It looks like in the end you have quite the cute little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. I am sorry too for your experience. At least your midwife tried different postions first. I feel like if I had at least tried the knee/chest position I would feel like I was given every chance before transfer. I am excited about having another chance and pray that things go smoothly this time around. I really liked your post about felt food. I am going to have to try this out. I used to sew a lot of clothing but after discovering Salvation Army I just can't justify the cost of fabric anymore. But crafts is a different story. And felt is so cheap and easy to work with.

      Delete